Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tiger Trade Rumors

Looks like the Tigers may not stand pat after all. According to this article on the freep, the Tigers are pursuing Jarrod Washburn, a left-handed pitcher from Seattle. Washburn is not young (34), but he's currently sporting a 2.64 ERA. The Tigers would have to part with Jeff Larish, which would be fine with me. I'd actually forgotten about Larish - a fine hitter in his own right. He's a young, left-handed bat with serious power. The problem is that he didn't perform that well in his 32 games with the big club (.214 BA) before packing his bags for the Mud Hens. His best position is 1st base, which puts him behind Cabrera. I'd say that makes Larish expendable.

Update on the Wings
Apparently, the Wings have an offer on the table for Jason Williams. I was hoping the Wings would focus their attention on Tanguay, but the money must be too low. The fact that Williams didn't jump at the Wings offer leads me to believe he's not going to sign. Folks that are lukewarm about Detroit tend to sign elsewhere.

If I'm correct and Williams snubs Detroit, it's quite possible Holland will go after Bertuzzi. No doubt he's a polarizing figure, but the guy brings way more to the table than Williams. The problem, besides Bertuzzi's age (34) and injuries, is that the dude was a dreadful -13 on a very good Calgary Flames team last season. His +/- was worst on the team. The previous season, Bertuzzi had the 6th best +/- on Anaheim, so perhaps it was a fluke. Either way, I'd still prefer Bertuzzi to Williams, despite Mrs. Thatballdontlie's sheer loathing of the guy.

By the way, glancing at Anaheim's stats, I noticed Getzlaf notched a +32 during the 07/08 season. That dude is the real deal. If Holland is looking to replace some scoring, how about pursuing a blockbuster deal to pry Getzlaf away from the Ducks? It would probably take Jonathan Ericsson AND perhaps Filppula AND a slew of draft picks. But Getzlaf is perhaps the best under-25 player in hockey. Having seen all the young stars - Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Toews - Getzlaf plays the best all-around game. He almost singlehandedly lifted the Ducks past the Wings in the playoffs. From Yzerman to Lidstrom to Zetterberg to... Getzlaf? The captaincy would be in good hands.

4 comments:

  1. How can you get in Holland's ear? Wait, there's no way that the Ducks would part with Getz -- esp to the Wings (don't the Ducks see the Wings as their major rival (just like half of the league?)?). That said, I love the idea and would be totally willing to part with the entire third line... oh wait, they're already gone... Regardless, getting a young star is always a good thing -- but usually doesn't happen b/c GM's want to keep those fellas till they reach free agency.

    Tigers: I'm glad I don't have the ability to watch them everyday. I'd be one frustrated fan (which I am anyway, but still).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. ThatballdontlieJuly 30, 2009 at 11:23 AM

    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Please tell me I will NEVER have to see that schmuck wear a RedWings jersey. I loathed every minute that guy was on the ice in red and white. And that picture of him is exactly why. He obviously IS that type of player since he DID send the guy to the hospital on a dirty dirty hit.
    The arguement was once made, "you don't like him because he's on the other team; you'd like him if he was a redwing".

    Well, I didn't. The very idea makes my stomach turn.

    I don't know who I dislike more, Bertuzzi or Pronger.

    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say I dislike Pronger more, simply because he's had more dirty hits on Red Wings. Who has more dirty hits overall? Tough to say. Bertuzzi ended Steve Moore's career. But Pronger had that awful affair with the Edmonton reporter that ended up forcing his trade to Anaheim. Seems like neither dude lasts long in the clubhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dislike Pronger like I used to dislike Chelios. Sure he's dirty, sure he's kind of a dirt bag, but, man, he's a heckuva hockey player. Bertuzzi? He doesn't have the talent of a Pronger, and I think he really regrets the Steve Moore incident, but I still wouldn't like to see him in the winged wheel. Of course, once upon a time, we signed a cat named Tiger Williams... http://www.worldofwallpapers.nuche.org/content/athletics/nhl/800/Dave-Tiger-Williams-Detroit-Red-Wings.jpg

    ReplyDelete