Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Gordon & Villanueva (Updated)

According to Yahoo Sports, Ben Gordon agreed to a contract $55million/5years. Villanueva is still working out his deal. I still don't know where this puts Rip. I suppose it's possible Rip might be traded to land a Tyson Chandler, but that's wishful thinking.

The article postulates that Villanueva might get roughly $7million/year. That would leave Dumars with $3million remaining for another free agent. I'm doubtful that would be enough to land Brandon Bass. The Pistons would desperately need help with the 4 and 5 positions. Kwame Brown just ain't a long term solution.

[Updated]
Many news outlets are now reporting that the Stones landed Villanueva too (see Yahoo's story). One day after singing his praises, I'm certainly not going to go back on my word. I still see Charlie V as a great pickup. He's young, hungry, and not terribly expensive - the estimate of $7million/year was accurate. Despite the two new contracts, Joe D still has roughly $4million left to spend. That might just be enough to land a big man.

The Yahoo story postulates that Rip will be traded for one of the following big men: Boozer, Kaman, or Chandler. Y'all know my thoughts on Boozer, but committing to him for just one year ain't a bad idea. Chandler would be a better fit, but it's possible Kaman might be the best of the bunch. He's got no ego, and he's cheap ($2million less than Chandler). Don't get me wrong... this is not the making of a championship, but it's an upgrade over Kwame Brown.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting. This team will have a dramatic shift in style. Villanueva and Gordon are offensive talents. Not much defense from either. Villanueva only gets 6-7 boards a game. I love Gordon's game though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. It'll be a crazy different team next year. They'll be giving up 100pts/night. I just hope they can somehow get Charlie V and Gordon to play at least some D.

    I like these signings. They're not giving up any awful $20million deals, and both players are entering their prime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kind of hoping for some package to land Chris Bosh (Rip + Stuckey) in the last year of his deal. There really would be no chance to retain Bosh... BUT IT WOULD MAKE FOR THE WILDEST 2010 EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I betcha they could get Bosh for Rip + draft pick. I can't imagine Toronto would get many offers for a dude in the last year of his contract - even if he is an All-star.

    I'm actually pretty surprised Bosh wants to leave. He had a chance to leave Toronto after his 3rd season, but he signed the extension. What changed in the last two years?

    ReplyDelete