Thursday, July 16, 2009

Stupid Fans, pt. 2

Perhaps the worst kept secret in baseball is that the Blue Jays are shopping their ace, Roy Halladay. Halladay, a former Cy Young winner and potential Hall of Famer, is 32. I heard on the radio yesterday -- and I'm still somewhat in shock -- a Tiger fan say he would not trade Zumaya and Luke French for Halladay.

Crickets.

Now, I missed the beginning of that segment, so I'm not sure why that trade was even on the table. Likely it was put forth by some clueless Tiger fan. There's no way on God's green earth that Toronto would accept broken down Zumaya and French (career wins=1) for their gem. Yet, the fact that some fan actually felt the Tigers were getting the short end of the stick actually makes my head spin. He was trying to convince the hosts that French, as a lefty, is a rare commodity and should be cherished. Sure, French may turn out to be a fine pitcher. But he'll be lucky to stick with the team, let alone become a regular starter, let alone make an All-star team and win a Cy Young!

If I'm Toronto, I may consider a Zumaya, French, AND Porcello deal.

The Rooks
The Piston rookies continue to impress in Vegas. Daye went off for 27 pts against the Knicks. Granted, this competition is pretty weak. Not many of those "Knick" players will make the actual roster. Alex Acker was their point guard. Daye shot 9/17 and grabbed an impressive 13 boards. Yet, and this could be the most significant stat, he turned it over 5 times. And had 5 fouls. Those issues could keep him on the bench.

Dajuan Summers may be more NBA-ready. He pored in 26 with 8 boards. Only 2 turns. What I like most about Summers is his attitude. Despite getting a solid write-up in ESPN, Summers is keeping a cool head. On making the roster, he said:

"I don't think anything is a sure thing. I thought the first round was a sure thing. I don't believe anything until it's actually concrete. That's just how I approach things."

Sounds like a Piston.

One more quick note... the Pistons 3rd draftee, Jonas Jerebko, played the last few years in Europe as a small forward. With the team's dearth of 4s and 5s, the Pistons are trying him out as a center. He's not perfectly suited for that role, but he did manage 13 and 12 with only 2 fouls. Not too shabby. That sort of versatility will likely land him a spot on the team.

1 comment:

  1. re: stupid fans. I think Pat Caputo said it best: "Just stop it."

    I just read that Utah is trying to get Tayshaun Prince. I would love Tayshaun to stay. I know he hasnt played great and was pretty quiet last season...but you cant help but speculate that things in the locker room were so bad that it affected his game...everyone's game. I bet everyone that leaves the Pistons will have an amazing season and people will say, "why didnt he play like that here?". I know I hate coming into work when its not the most productive environment. And coming back to the stupid fan...those are the fans that will scream till their blue in the face to trade someone, and once their gone, say the team should have never traded him.

    You know who you are.

    ReplyDelete