Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hudler

So, I put it in my update section, but I thought I'd begin a Hudler-specific topic to allow for comments. This is a pretty shocking development. While I do believe Hudler will still sign with the Wings, we should now accept the possibility that the Wings may in fact be without FOUR forwards from last season - Hossa, Kopecky, Samuelsson, and now Hudler.

That's a pretty severe cut.

Ken Holland said that he could use the extra money to sign another forward, and I'm sure he could do just that. In fact, the team may be better if they find a solid 2-way player, but the pickings will be slim. How will the Wings fare missing an entire line from '08/'09 roster?

They already told Abdelkader he'll be starting in Grand Rapids. I imagine those plans have changed. No doubt Ville Leino will pick up some scoring slack. Perhaps Filppula will score 20. What about the others?

4 comments:

  1. That's a real disappointment. I like Hudler. He's small but he's able to get it done, during the regular season and post. (And no one looks happier to score than Happy.) I thought he played very well during previous post-seasons especially when he was on the same line as Filppula. I hope this is a misunderstanding and a bad play by his agent that can be rectified. Not that I wouldnt mind seeing the young guys play either but you cant change everything all at once. (What a different playoff it would have been with Lilja and Kopecky healthy...or if everybody was healthy.) But then again, everyone's a year older.
    (as an aside, i saw a 12 y.o. girl today wearing a crosby t-shirt and it almost made me gag.)

    HOCKEY, COME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one knock against Hudles is that he doesn't play defense. Reporters regularly ask Babcock why Hudler doesn't earn more minutes, and it always comes down to defense. With that said, the Wings need guys that can score, and Hudler proved to be a capable NHL scorer. He even notched a few in the playoffs. He's little, but gritty. I can't see why he'd want to go to Russia. Stay in the D, Happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dunno, I don't really have much sympathy for the 2nd and 3rd liners who got solidly outplayed last series by the Pens. Plus he failed to find the back of the net after game 7 against the Ducks (though that was a sweet goal). Plus we only have like $160.43 in cap space next year. I for one would like to see how IPod Nano might fill the void...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good point, Doug. He was outplayed. As were many of the Wings, other than Zetterberg. Looking at the news today, it appears rather certain Hudler is gone.

    ReplyDelete