Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ug-Ly

Is it too early to amend my prediction? Two days ago, I said the Pistons would win a grand total of 25 games this season. I figured I was being conservative, bordering on pessimistic. After hearing they lost last night to the New Jersey Nets - a team that won just 12 games last season - I now fear the Pistons might have a hard time winning 15 games.

It's possible my fears are unwarranted. The fact is I didn't get to watch the game. I just saw the result and perused the box score. I'm a Dish Network subscriber, and Fox Sports Detroit pulled their channel from my lineup. I'm stuck without the Pistons OR Wings. Without watching the games, my opinion loses some credibility. So, I'll try not to overreact. Perhaps the Pistons aren't that bad. Perhaps New Jersey, who signed 11 new players this season, is better than an expansion team. Perhaps Charlie Villanueva should be exclusively a three-point shooter (9 attempts versus 1 attempt at a 2-pointer). Perhaps lauded sophomore and preseason leading scorer Austin Daye should log just 21 minutes. Perhaps lauded rookie Greg Monroe shouldn't play at all. Perhaps losing a 7pt lead in the final 1:44 ain't that bad.

Or perhaps they just suck.

When Jerebko went down with the season-ending injury, I wasn't quite sure how much that would affect the team. From a rebounding perspective, they definitely miss him. Jersey is not a rebounding powerhouse. Again - just 12 wins all last season. Yet, they outrebounded the Pistons 44-37. I have no doubt Jerebko could've snuck in a few more boards for the Stones. Maybe it's the lack of size that forced Kuester to continue trying new lineup combinations. Nine different players logged 19 or more minutes. Despite the rebounding disparity, Kuester couldn't find any minutes for the Pistons prized rookie big man? Very curious.

This experimenting is supposed to be limited to the preseason. Please tell me this is not the rotation that Kuester settled on.

As for New Jersey, I predict they'll lose their next ten games. Yes, they're that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment