Wednesday, June 24, 2009

RyRay

I tried working last night, but I kept getting pulled back by the Tigers/Cubs game. I watched the early innings, as Jackson dueled with Zambrano. I've often praised Jackson on this blog, and it was warranted again last night. He did not have the best command (4 walks), but he pitched out of every jam. He left after the 7th, allowing just 2 runs.

The Tigers were down 2-1 in the bottom of the 7th, when Brandon Inge lit up Zambrano for a 2-run homer. It was just the 6th dinger allowed by Zambrano all season. Zumaya relieved Jackson in the top of the 8th and easily dispatched the first two batters - striking out the first with a 104mph fastball. Derrek Lee then lined a single to left. With the runner on first and two outs, Zumaya was one strike away from ending the inning. He decided to throw a change-up (first of the inning), and Micah Hoffpauir sent the pitch deep into the seats in right field to take a 4-3 lead. Rod and Mario immediately questioned Zumaya's decision to throw him a change-up when nobody could catch up to his heat. I'm a little more forgiving. The art of pitching is as much about deception as natural skill. Zumaya's fastball is only effective if he mixes in a few pitches at 80-85 mph. The decision to the throw the change was fine, but the location was poor -- and Zumaya let his frustrations be known by dropping a few (silent) F-bombs.

At the bottom of the 8th, Polanco got hit by a pitch with one out. He stole second on Cabrera's 3rd strike. Thames, perhaps not realizing that a single would tie the game, promptly swung for the fences on 4 straight pitches. End of the inning.

The score was still 4-3 in the bottom of the 9th. Recent call-up Don Kelly stepped up to the plate. After about a 9 pitch at bat, Kelly earned the walk. Sunday's hero, Brandon Inge, was next. Two homers in a game was too much to ask, and Inge popped up. Josh Anderson was supposed to bat after Inge, but Leyland called Ryan Rayburn to pinch hit. Rayburn does not get regular action, and the team tried to trade him during the Spring. No takers. I've always like Rayburn - he plays almost every position (including catcher) and has decent extra-base power. This is where things get interesting...

To rewind a bit, after about the 6th inning, I handed the remote to my wife and went to work (in the next room). I could hear the announcers going crazy over Inge's homer in the 7th. So, I quit work and got to watch Zumaya blow the lead in the 8th. Frustrated, I went back to work.

But the Tigers kept pulling me back. After a few minutes, I found myself watching Thames strike out at the bottom of the 8th. Argh! I tried going back to work and decided to open up the ESPN Gamecast. I saw that Don Kelly got a walk but Inge popped up. I figured... I'll go watch these last two outs. Unfortunately, the wife had engaged herself with an old Jimmy Stewart movie, The Shop Around the Corner. Knowing that the game would likely end in a loss, I didn't force the issue and walked back to work. Before I sat down, she yelled, "They won!" I ran back to the TV, and Rayburn was getting mobbed at home plate! I was shocked. My wife apologized for not flipping back to the game in time, but the crazy up-and-down nature of the game left me dazed with joy.

So, good 'ol RyRay came through. And Leyland gave him a monster hug. Great win.



AP Photo

2 comments:

  1. That hug was so sweet. Leyland doesnt mind going in for the full hug, not the jock hug, the father-type "i'm so proud of you, son" hug. Which only works because he's such a tough-looking SOB. If we can only get him to stop putting both hands in his pants while he's staniding around.

    And good for RyRay. Earn yourself a spot on the team. No reason he cant be an everyotherday player like Santiago has become with Everett. Talk about a clutch at bat. FINALLY!

    You forgot to mention Magglio's return to the team. I really want him to turn things around not only for him and the Tigers, but so that Ozzie Guillen cant say "I told you so".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure what to say about Magglio. For out-of-town Detroiters that may be reading this, you may find it bizarre how quickly fans turned on Magglio. Last weekend, radio host Pat Caputo regularly chastisted the Detroit fans (and the Tigers) for scapegoating Maggs after the disappointing road trip. (I used Doug's trick of making my name a link - so click on my name if you want to read Caputo's column on Maggs.)

    I read on the Tigers message board last night (yes, it was a terribly unproductive night of work) that Maggs was not part of the mob that met Rayburn at home plate. That seems surprising. It seems to me that Maggs has been a solid teammate, so I'm not going to read anything into that. Maggs is going through some tough times, personally and professionally. I hope for his sake and the Tigers that he finds a way to turn it around.

    ReplyDelete