Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Gut Punch

Put simply, the Ducks played better. With their backs against the wall, they outskated the Wings for most of the game. The Wings did not play poorly, per se... in fact, their forecheck in the 1st period created a couple chances. They just seemed a step slower than the Ducks. If they were not a step slower, they were merely neck-and-neck with the Ducks, which isn't enough. In this series, when the Wings don't absolutely punish the Ducks, the Ducks find a way to win.

The Ducks have the best defense in the NHL, and they've completely corralled Datsyuk. While I didn't see the replay, the rumor is that Niedermeyer elbowed Datsyuk at the end of the game. I saw Datsyuk roughing it up - helmetless, while Niedermeyer had a helmet and visor, so perhaps Datsyuk while have extra fire in Game 7. It's the Wings first elimination game in two years. I believe they'll respond like Champions.

The Ducks will anticipate a fired-up Wings team in the first. My guess is the Ducks will play their energy line quite a bit in the first to cause havoc on the forecheck and stifle any Wing attack before it starts. Scott Niedermeyer and Wisniewski will see tons of minutes early. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ducks get an early goal, with the Wings pressing. Eventually, though, I think the Wings will wear down the Ducks - IF they can stay out of the penalty box. That dang third straight penalty they committed in Game 6 ultimately doomed the Wings. It was just too many minutes of power play to give the strong Duck team.

It should be quite a show tomorrow. Too bad it conflicts with the Office season finale. If there was ever a reason to upgrade to a better DVR, tomorrow is it!

Galarraga
My boy Armando Galarraga continues to suck. It's his 4th straight game of sucking. My new theory is that he and Verlander are on opposite sides of a karmic see-saw. When Verlander sucked royally in 2008, Galarraga had a career year. This continued in April '09. Verlander posted a 6.75 ERA, while Galarraga was hovering at 1.8. This month, Galarraga's got a 9.0 ERA, and Verlander? A scintillating 0.56.

More on the Wings
While I was researching the baseball stats, I had a chance to check out more on the Wings/Ducks post-game fight. I'll only make one comment and then leave the rest for your own personal interpretation. The "rumor" I mentioned earlier about Niedermeyer elbowing Datsyuk is complete fact - it's capture in all its shocking unsportsmanship below (near the end):

2 comments:

  1. Everything bad about hockey...right there. I hope at least he doesnt go on TV crying saying he's not that kind of a player. CLEARLY he is "that kind" of a player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niedermeyer's quote after the game:
    "There was a lot going on, I don't know how it all started. The next thing you know my gloves are off. That doesn't happen too often. I didn't even know who it was at first. I took a couple of punches to the face. I guess after a couple, I figured I'd try a couple."

    After watching the vid, I didn't see the "couple punches to the face" but I guess it doesn't really matter. If the Wings take them down tomorrow, that's the ultimate payback.

    ReplyDelete