Friday, December 18, 2009

31 to 16

I'm not the kind of fan that likes to complain about the refs. I understand that bad reffing is part of the game. Yet, I also believe that refs do play a major role. In every sport, they impact the outcome. So, on the rare occasion, it's totally justified to blame the ref. Tonight is such an occasion.

The subject of this post refers to the fouls called during the Pistons/Thunder game. The Pistons were whistled 31 times. The Thunder? 16. I watched the game in awe, as the refs continued to trot Kevin Durant to the free throw stripe every time his foot touched the paint. Sometimes the foul numbers are skewed when one team one shoots jumpers. This was not the case. In fact, the Thunder actually shot more jumpers than the Pistons but they still somehow got 36 free throw attempts to only 16 for the Stones.

Poor Austin Daye. In the first half, the young rook hit a sweet running hook as the shot clock expired... only to get whistled for a charge. Nick Collison, the savvy vet, planted his feet about two feet in front of Daye, but Daye side-stepped him. It didn't matter. Collison leaned into Daye and then fell backwards. Somehow, he got the call.

Yes, I'm angry and bitter and a homer. It's a crappy way to lose. Did the Pistons deserve to win? Probably not. They played the worst defense I've seen yet this year, and, in the 2nd half, their offense reverted (yet again) to Curry-ball. No flow, no motion, no points. They went long, long stretches without scoring a hoop, and Kuester needs to be held accountable. After the loss to New Orleans, I said it was the most disheartening loss since Utah. Well, the Utah loss broke their spirit, and it took a few weeks for the team to recover. I fear the same thing will happen now... with the Lakers looming on Sunday. They need to get that mojo back and keep playing aggressively. The refs won't always suck this badly.

Z
I must apologize for my lack of posts this week, for I was a bit under the weather. If I had been healthier, I would've sung the praises of the make-shift Red Wing lineup which is now on a 4-game winning streak. Last night, they got goals from Drew Miller, Bertuzzi, and Patrick Eaves - three players not on the team last year. I overheard Ken Daniels say Drew Miller now has 4 goals for the year - a career high. It's good to see at least a few guys thrive in the Wings' system.

Unfortunately, Mattias Ohlund absolutely crushed Zetterberg, knocking him out for at least two weeks. To say this is alarming would be an understatement. The Wings just can't catch a break with these injuries. Eight regular players are now out. Here's the hit:

2 comments:

  1. Wow. I'd like to complain about a dirty hit, but jeez that was legal. And leveling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with ya. It seemed pretty legal. Just unfortunate. Poor, poor Z.

    ReplyDelete