Thursday, June 9, 2011

D-Fense

For those unaware, I was out of town the past five days and did not get a chance to watch the Tigers recent surge.

As I drove to work early Tuesday morning, I heard WDFN's Matt Sheppard ask, "Are you now happy with your Detroit Tigers?" He went on, "... or if there's one change you would make, what would it be?"

I thought to myself... I didn't get a chance to watch the wins over the White Sox or Rangers. This Tiger team to me was still the ho-hum squad that would follow a 5-game winning streak with a 5-game losing streak. It was easy for me to not fall prey to any recent success. So, after Shep posed his question above, my answer was, "No, I'm not happy with the Tigers. And, if there's one change I would make it would be improved defense."

And last night was the perfect example. It was the first game I had the pleasure to watch since Porcello's gem against Minnesota. And things started out quite well. Don Kelly hit a homer in his first at-bat, and Coke cruised easily through the first 2 innings. Then everything unraveled in the 3rd. After getting the first guy to pop out, Coke let the next three guys reach on singles. With the bases loaded, Craig Gentry hit a slow chopper to 3rd. Kelly fielded it cleanly and opted to throw home. Inexplicably, his short throw sailed wide right, allowing two runs to score, without registering a single out. Then Josh Hamilton doubled, giving Texas a commanding 4-1 lead.

I know I shouldn't complain too much about the Tigers. They've won 8 of their last 10. Yet, I simply can't see this team going very far without an improved defense. I know Raburn is fresh off a weekend Grand Salami over the White Sox. But that doesn't change the fact that he can't judge a fly ball. And there's always this:



Yet, this isn't a knock on just Raburn. The team is 4th worst in the AL in total errors committed. Kelly's error last night perfectly illustrates how a simple error compounds problems. If Kelly simply completes his throw to home plate, Coke registers his 2nd out. It saves the Tigers 1 run, if not 2. I also believe it doesn't shake Phil Coke's fragile confidence. The guy has a respectable 4.11 ERA, but, due to bone-headed plays like last night and dreadful run support, Coke's record is 1-6.

I'm content with Avila behind the plate. Cabrera is fine at first, and Peralta has proven to be a serviceable shortstop. Yet, 2nd and 3rd base continue to cause problems. Inge leads the team with 5 errors. Kelly didn't instill any confidence in his stint at 3rd last night. 2nd base has been a revolving door of Will Rhymes, Santiago, Raburn, Danny Worth, and Scott Sizemore.

Outfield isn't much better. Austin Jackson has been fine in center, but the corner spots are iffy. Boesch showed potential as a competent right fielder, but he still occasionally misjudges the pop-ups. Raburn is a nightmare, and Magglio doesn't have the best range. Thankfully, Andy Dirks and Casper Wells both proved to be competent defensive replacements.

For a team that's relied heavily on their starting 5, the rest of the roster should focus on supporting them. If they actually grow to a competent defensive team, they might actually turn this thing into a pennant race.

No comments:

Post a Comment