Monday, September 27, 2010

Era of Good Feelings Over

The tide has turned on Jim Schwartz. I guess Lion fans decided his 2-17 record as head coach was not acceptable. Folks around here are not pleased, and, for the first time in two years, his coaching ability is now under the microscope.

Puh-lease.

So, we're gonna blame the head coach again? I will admit that Schwartz made some bone-headed decisions against the Vikings, and I do fault him for some draft picks. Yet, is firing the coach really the answer? It seems to me that bringing in a new coaching staff just sets this franchise back another few years. If Lion fans want something to feel good about, how about the fact that they haven't once this season found themselves down 21-0. They're also not last in Team Defense (they're 3rd to last). So at least they're moving in the right direction.

The problem is that fans of the NFL are repeatedly told that the league is geared for quick turnarounds. Barry Sanders retired in 1998. That's 12 years and counting for the Lions' turnaround. It's nowhere in sight. The fans want wins. They don't care that Stafford is out. Or that Calvin can't get open. Or that the secondary is populated by my middle school teammates. They just want a taste of that elusive W.

Foolish, foolish fans. Have they learned nothing? I didn't claim to be any Nostradamus when I said the Lions would lose to the Bears. Nor was I any wiser when I guaranteed they'd lose to the Vikings. Folks, predicting the Lions will lose is like predicting the Earth will rotate around the Sun. It's just a given. The franchise is the worst in all of sports. No coach, no quarterback, no running back will change that. I'm sorry... that's just the way it is. And guess what? They're going to lose next week too. I know... shocker.

In happier news, the Tigers swept the Twins. If ever there was a time for the Tigers to actually beat up the Twins, you knew it would be in late September after the Twins already clinched the division title. Damn them. Regardless, I'd still rather have the Tigers win than lose, even if the wins don't mean much. James Schmehl of MLive wrote a good piece on the Tigers' offseason. Should be interesting.

And, oh yeah, Brandon Inge is the new strikeout king of the Tigers. Huzzah!

No comments:

Post a Comment