Thursday, February 4, 2010

Brett Fav-ruh

Brett Favre is a controversial figure. Even in Detroit - where he would normally be viewed as a hated enemy - Favre has countless supporters. I never understood it.

For 18 straight seasons, the guy has killed the Lions. He's peppered the Lion defense for a whopping 57 touchdowns and 8,700 yards - his highest total against any team. That doesn't include playoff games where my lasting image is watching Favre launch a 40-yard bomb to an in explicably wide open Sterling Sharpe in the final minute. For a trip down nightmare lane, enjoy:



Despite the pain, many Detroiters still love the dude. Lions fans need to latch onto a winner, I suppose. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em? Yet, what about the fans of the Vikings. Favre was as much a thorn in their side. Somehow the Viking fans embraced the hated rival. Does winning cure all ills? I posed the Favre question to my good friend in Minnesota. He gave me permission to print his response. So, without any further adieu, guest blogger, Stulio, aka "S7J4":

I just had a sudden, new appreciation for Brett Favre. What, you say?! The season's over, he's non-committal again, and you've got new appreciation? Well, let me explain.

I just got up out of my chair and had sudden shots of pain throughout my body. It's winter in Minnesota, and, with the cold and ice, comes the challenges of exercizing in the elements. Warm and clean streets are nowhere to be found, and, in their place, we get strained muscles from slipping and bruises from falling. What does Favre have to do with any of that? The guy is 40, gets beat to hell, and still manages to get us within one play of the Super Bowl. He's got five years on me, not to mention 300 pound lineman body slamming him, and he keeps getting up and making great plays. I can't tell you the last time we had a QB in Minnesota with those qualities.

You can find his toying with the media distasteful, his inability to make up his mind annoying, and even his random bursts of "what was he thinking" plays frustrating, but dammit, the guy just plays. And plays well. Wait -- he doesn't just play well, he's one of the best.

Look, I'm of the school that finds the decline of player loyalty saddening. I'm tired of the "it's a business" excuse, er line. But Favre didn't end up in Minnesota because he was seeking the best deal. If Green Bay felt he was the one, he would have gotten his. But, that's not the way it worked out.

So, I for one am happy Favre's a Viking. I hope he comes back next year. I'm willing to put up with his baggage. Because not only is he a perfect fit for this team, but I don't have to look at any of the stiffs that have lined up under center for the past 10 years. (Save your Culpepper arguments... good, not great.) I want the Vikings to win more than I care if he played for the Packers or if he toys with people. And anyway, is it really that bad? How is he worse than the prima donna wide recievers? Or Bryant McKinney? Or the muscle heads in baseball...I'm looking at you Big Mac...liar.

Bring 'em back I say.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective. I think the only thing that saved him was that the Vikings won games. You put Farve on a team like the Lions...maybe they win more than 3 games...maybe not. If not, don't think anyone would care if he came back.

    I guess it comes down to this question about Favre for me: Do celebrities (athletes included) have a responsibility to their fans? Charles Barkley I think would say no. Sponsors would say yes. And what about that kid that wore Favre's Greenbay jersey for, like, 1000days straight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess it's different when he's putting up wins for your own team.

    When he's an opponent, he's easy to hate, but I can't deny his results.

    What I don't get is his retirement talk. Why the heck would he bring it up every year? It just comes off as attention-mongering. If he had never retired, I think his legacy would be more pristine. As it stands now... there's a bit of a stench surrounding the guy (much like that Favre jersey after the 1000th straight day).

    ReplyDelete