Sunday, January 17, 2010

A sign of the times?

I was asked to sit-in for our master blogger and post a couple times this weekend. This would normally not be a big issue. However, I've had a lot going on in my life which has prevented me from actively following Detroit sports. In fact, for the past couple months, all of my contact with the world of the Wings, Pistons, Tigers and that football team, has been through nofrownmotown.com.

That said, I turned on my television this morning and saw that my beloved Red Wings were going to be on national TV (in HD no less). This was too much of a coincidence -- I had to watch -- and post.

They opened the telecast showing how the Wings were screwed out of a shoot out win against the Stars on Saturday. I wasn't terribly surprised, as I don't think the Wings have more than one OT win this season. Regardless, the NBC crew was very busy talking up the young, talented, and first place Blackhawks. I was a little shocked though (especially since Darren Pang was not part of the telecast), that they also were very sympathetic to the plight of the Red Wings, who, it was pointed out several times, would not make the playoffs if they were to start today.

Not having watched many Red Wing games since the Stanley Cup finals (the last time they were regularly televised in Denver), I didn't know what to expect. I was very disappointed with what I saw as the Blackhawks jumped to an early 2-0 lead. The Wings looked slow, disenchanted, and completely lacking of a defense or goalie.

Then they woke up. The turning point was highlighted by an impressive fight between Eaves and Versteeg. Eaves got popped good early, but was able to stay on his feet and land several solid blows. Kid won some fight cred. After that it was the same Red Wing team that we have known and loved for the past decade. They were all over the ice, completely outshooting the Blackhawks -- but regularly frustrated by the opposition's goalie -- and the goal posts.

When the game opened with the details about the shoot out loss to Dallas, I was miffed that the Wings had to play again today -- and early even. It turns out that Chicago was playing back-to-back as well, but those 19 year olds have to rebound faster... I tried to tell myself that the Wings didn't stand a chance with the back-to-back games, and against a team playing as well as the Blackhawks. I was really trying to not get too worked up. It didn't really work.

It had to be NBC's dream that this game go to OT -- more air time to showcase the Norris division's new guard as they fought the only team with players that still remember that there used to be a Norris Division? Too good to pass up. Shockingly NBC got what they wanted. The game was 2-1 Hawks after 1, and 3-2 after 2. The Red Wings dominated most of the 3rd period but the game ended 3-3. The ice remained tilted in the Wings favor during the OT period, but as destiny would dictate, the Wings got to show off their skills in yet another shoot out. I'm still pretty ticked about it, just suffice to say that the Blackhawks made more than the home team.

After the game ended I sat down to write this posting and figured I should check out what the 'Stones have been up to since Steve's last post. It turns out that the Pistons have been going to work. Three straight wins?! I'll have to do some more research to see what the change has been (might have something to do with playing the Knicks), but I did see a blerb that in beating New Orleans on Friday, Jonas was running the point (matched up with CPaul?!) at one point. Gotta give Kuester a little credit. Not certain he'll have his job next year, but innovative line-ups are at least a sign of effort.

1 comment:

  1. I have always been a Tayshaun fan. Come on. Prince playing at the Palace! And who can forget that block he had against Reggie Miller. Everyone thought having Ben Gordon, Tayshaun and Rip back was going to gel the team. But it didnt. In fact, I think the real difference in the last 3 games has been that Tayshaun has been sitting and JJ has been playing. He is not fully recovered (i.m.o.) and it shows. While JJ is not the necessarily better than Tayshaun, he is right now and gives everything every night. And you can see it. I can't wait to have Tayshaun back but not until he's fully recovered and not afraid to get bumped around.

    And while they are winning, they still need to work on their defence. They used to have a some stat or record about number of wins when they keep their opponent under 90 points.

    Unfortunately, they fell to the Knicks today. Rip was out and it says Tayshaun has a sore knee (?). When Ben Wallace is one of your top scorers, you're in trouble. Someone else, step up. Please.

    ReplyDelete