Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A win

I must acknowledge the Lions' first victory in 20 attempts. While I've used space on this blog to criticize the poor souls who actually spend money on this team, I do feel somewhat relieved that the city of Detroit is no longer home to a winless football team.

I also would like to give credit to Jim Schwartz who somehow crafted a football team from the scraps left him by Matt Millen and Rod Marinelli. In three attempts, Schwartz accomplished what Marinelli could not do all of last season, and Marinelli had all of "his guys" on the team. Schwartz inherited, in essence, an expansion team. He said he used the top two picks on offensive players because the team had so many holes, they ended up picking the best player available. That seems like an honest assessment of the Marinelli Lions.

Now, I'm not changing my tune. I still think it's foolish to waste money and time on the Lions. Let them prove to you they've turned a corner. Become a fair-weather fan. Why not? You deserve it after a lifetime of futility. The Wings are about to start their season. The Pistons just opened practice. And the Tigers are in the midst of a crucial pennant race. Let's give the Lions their just due on actually winning a game, but now back to our regular scheduled programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment